Monday, March 11, 2013

Kitchen Traditions - Chicken a la King

This recipe is from our mom, JoAnne.  I love this recipe because it is quick & easy, and also makes great leftovers!
Mom and Dominic baking cookies - Christmas 2010
You'll notice that the recipe is called "Chicken" a la king, but I don't actually add chicken.  That's the other reason I love this recipe...it was really easy for me to substitute beans for meat and still have it be delicious!  And, as if I haven't raved about it enough, the list of ingredients is all things I usually have on hand.

Start by melting the butter in a large pan.  (Not like stock pot large, just a dutch oven or so.)


Whisk in flour, salt & pepper and bring to a boil.


Add chicken broth (or vegetable broth, or water) & milk and whisk together.


Set on low heat and stir occasionally while it comes to a boil.


Drain the peas & beans.  (If you are using chicken, just drain the peas.)  I usually use 2 cans of Northern or White Kidney beans.  And the recipe calls for 1/2 can peas, but I like peas so I add the whole can!


Let the gravy come to a boil and boil for one minute.


Add the peas & beans (or chicken) and allow to heat through.


Yummy!


Serve over biscuits.  It's like biscuits & gravy for dinner!


If you're a carcass eater, you can cook and cube the chicken first (cook it in the chicken broth), and use that instead of the beans.

Be sure and comment to let me know what you think and/or if you try this for yourself!  Also, now you can follow us on blogger...check it out on the right side of the screen :D

Grace and love,
Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment