Monday, February 11, 2013

Redecorating 2013 - DIY Stenciling

The next project for my master bedroom was to paint a single strip of stenciling on one of the walls...an idea I found on pinterest from My Sister & I, Inc.


So I started looking for a stencil that would work with the other patterns going on in the room.  But it turns out, stencils (especially the large patterns like this one) are expensive!  Most of the ones I found were between $40-90!  If I were doing the whole wall, that expense might be justifiable, but when you're unemployed and only painting a small amount of the stencil...nope, not happening.

Instead, I borrowed a trick I had just learned from making the Subway Art for the other wall in the room.  I found a picture of a pattern that I liked, and enlarged it with an "engineering print" from Staples.  It only cost $2 for the print!




In the interest of full disclosure, this is probably not a "beginner" project, nor is it a good project for a perfectionist. BUT, if you want to add an accent like this, need to save some money and have some time to kill (probably 4-5 hours) - the effect is amazing!

I forgot to take a picture, but there are a couple of options for transferring the outline of the image to the wall.  You could use an overhead projector (assuming you have access to one), but I'd be concerned about the pattern getting distorted.  Any form of tracing paper or carbon paper will work.  But, of course, I didn't have any of these, so I went old school.  I used a piece of charcoal (you could also use a pencil, but it would take a long time) to color all over the pack of the sheet of paper.  Then, when I put it on the wall and traced over the pattern, the charcoal transferred the pattern to the wall.



Once you've traced the pattern, move the paper and realign it so you can continue the pattern.  You'll see that the pattern is designed as an all over pattern, so I had to select the portion that I wanted to use and only trace that.


 Hard to photograph, but this is what it looked like once I was finished tracing the pattern.


Next, using an artist's brush, fill in the pattern with paint.  I used a 1/2" angled brush and it worked perfectly!  This part is the reason that beginners and perfectionists should spend the money on a stencil.  You need a very steady hand, and even still, when you look up close, the lines aren't perfectly crisp like they would be with a stencil.  From just a couple of feet away though, you can hardly tell that its not perfect.


The finished product!  I liked this pattern because it's a softer version of the print on my bed.  Eventually, I'm going to mount a long mirror over this, but who knows when I'll get around to that.

Total Project Cost

"Engineering Print" from Staples             $2
Paint (left over from another project)    FREE 
Paint Brush                                        $3
Total                                                $5

Take that $50 stencil!

For a more subtle look, you could use polycrylic, or the same color paint in a different finish (gloss paint on a matte wall).  The effect would be beautiful!

Post your comments to let me know what you think and/or if you try this for yourself.

Grace and love,
Jenn



1 comment:

  1. Looks great ditder... but when did you put yourself in the category of "not a perfectionist?" LOL. Adding this to my list of possible projects for my craft/guest room.

    ReplyDelete